Earlier this summer, comedian Bo Burnham made his sorta return to stand-up comedy when he released his latest Netflix special, Inside. If you haven’t seen it, it is a very different type of experience than a typical comedy special. It’s constantly switching gears from laugh-out-loud funny to introspective.I don’t want to spoil anything if you haven’t seen it, but it is harrowing to watch a man’s mental health decline in real-time over the course of a year, which got me thinking…there’s something weirdly familiar about watching this… Oh yeah, Inside is basically one giant metaphor for being a Vikings fan. So without further ado… 9 moments from Inside Vikings fans will definitely relate to. Welcome to the internet Vikes fans.
9. When you watch, then rewatch, Minneapolis Miracle replays for an hour straight
The Minneapolis Miracle was fucking great. Honestly, it may have been better than sex. What else needs to be said? Oh, I guess… DIGGS! SIDELINE! TOUCHDOWN! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!
8. When you have to watch the Vikings lose to an inferior opponent for no discernible reasonAgain, we’ve all been there. The Vikings are rolling, on paper, they’re heavy, double-digit betting favorites. And yet, every Vikings fan feels nothing but a sense of dread. We’ve been here too many times. The Vikings just lay an absolute egg. These aren’t even the most painful losses, just the infuriating kind where you can’t do anything but scream. 41-Donut. The Bills in ’18. Either Packers game in 2011. The list goes on, much to our collective chagrin.
7. Onterrio Smith being super confident in his abilities but also completely unable to stop taking PEDs
Truth be told, this one could have gone to any number of different Vikings-related figures. But the Whizzinator is arguably the most well-known, so here we are. We have all heard the Whizzinator jokes but man, this one is actually a little sad.Smith was a pretty good RB who wanted to be better and kept pushing his body past its limits. I guess he felt like he had to live up to his own hype when he shaved SOD for “Steal of the Draft” in his head after going in the 4th round back in 2003… He even led the team in rushing before he started doping. Overall, Onterrio’s story is a bit of a bummer. Not the fun kind of bummer, though. Minnesota fans are used to those and can laugh ’em off now. Moving on!
6. What you think must be going through Adam Thielen’s mind when he pulls off the Griddy
That darn Adam Thielen is just so friggin’ charming. He’s got such a great story (did you know he almost sold dental supplies?!?!) a beautiful family, a lovely home (even if the TV placement is weird)…and he can hit the Griddy like his new best friend Justin Jefferson. What’s not to love? Dude has so much swagger, it can’t be contained. We all know hitting the Griddy is not something just anyone can do…
5. Remembering Brad Childress when he cut Randy Moss a few weeks after trading for him
Brad Childress had way too much power. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. He had an ego problem and if it weren’t for the resurgence of literally one of the best QBs of all time, he may not have won a single playoff game during his tenure. All that came to a head when Chilly brought Randy Moss home. For a few weeks there, it seemed like he had figured out how to be a head coach and keep his ego in check. Then Moss started doing Moss things and was unceremoniously cut from the team.
In hindsight, a baffling move. In the current moment, also a baffling move. The news eventually broke that he just went rogue on that decision. He was ultimately held accountable when the Wilf’s fired him towards the end of the 2010 season and it became clear Chilly was giving everyone the cold shoulder treatment.
4. When Kyle Rudolph scored that OT winner against the Saints in 2019I mean seriously, ripping the hearts out of Saints fans once was one of the best moments of my life. Ripping their hearts out again, a year after they had their hearts broken by a different blown no call, gave me a level of joy and schadenfreude I don’t believe I can ever surpass. Rudy is beloved by many, but on this day in particular, he definitely saved the day.
3. The moment before you realize Adam Thielen was born in 1990
Every Wide Receiver not named Larry Fitzgerald seemingly starts to decline as they age. 30 is often the number thrown out as the age in which we start to see guys lose a step. Apparently, nobody told Thielen, because that boy had one of his best seasons ever last year, reeling in 14 TDs and almost 1000 yards. He’s a young 30 if I’ve ever seen one.
2. Anytime someone brings up ATL
Nothing makes any Vikings fan sad like bringing up Atlanta. DAMN! Even younger fans know the pain and tragedy of this game. It fucking sucks. Picture the Minneapolis Miracle, but you’re a Saints fan. Heh, now I’m remembering the Minneapolis Miracle. Fuck those guys.
1. The morning after the latest soul crushing loss from the Vikings
Once again, a feeling all too familiar to the Purple faithful. Vikings gonna Vikings, amirite? If there’s one thing we love doing, it’s reminding everyone how shitty we have it. Because hot damn do we have it shitty.
So there you have it. 9 moments from Inside Vikings fans will definitely relate to. The whole special is one long depiction of deteriorating mental health disguised as entertainment…in other words, the typical Minnesota Vikings fan experience.
If you haven’t yet make sure to stream Inside by Bo Burnham. Vikings fans will get the full experience of a season in about 90 minutes.
Minnesota sports weren’t stressful enough, so I went to Auburn. Diehard everything fan. Will drink beer for money. Deathly allergic to chicken.