This whole weekend was brutal. Mixing a “Friday the 13th” with a Vikings’ playoff game never turns out well. In fact, taking a herd of black cats for a walk under a hundred ladders while curb stomping mirrors and punting salt shakers likely has better results. Honestly, I think most people kinda expected this. Going 11-0 in one-score games with a negative point differential doesn’t typically create confidence. Unfortunately, it is what it is, but fortunately, everyone’s in for a treat. Nothing fixes heart break like ice cream, so here’s the list of the top 10 ice cream treats available to fill that black void left by the Vikings.
Top 10 Ice Cream Treats:
10. Hot Fudge Sundays from Anywhere:You can’t go wrong with these treats. A little chocolate and little ice cream will help soothe any kind of pain. As always, do you market research to find the best deal.
9. Dairy Queen Dilly Bar/Buster Bar:
Whether you’re rocking chocolate or cherry dip, these things are gas. Childhood wouldn’t be the same without parents bringing a pack of Dillies home for the kids and Buster Bars for themselves. Unfortunately, we’re all too old and passed the age limit for Dilly Bars. Now, we have to eat Buster Bars for the rest of our lives. Adulthood stinks!
8. Grocery Store Freezies/Popsicles:Out of left field comes the first point of contention. Absolutely sue me for putting a non-ice cream product on an ice cream list. However, we need to be inclusive and give the non-dairy fans some love. Additionally, these move to a very high rank in the summer months.
7. McDonald’s Vanilla Soft Serve Cone:
This pick’s nothing but ease and simplicity. For a touch over $2 and 2 minutes, you can have a perfectly solid ice cream cone. There’s always a chance the ice cream machine’s down, but we can live with that. Fun side story, I once stopped to grab one of these. As I watched the employee make the worst cone in US history, I thought there’s no way she can serve me that. She slowly brought it over, handed it to me, literally said “sorry”, and then slid the window closed. Horrific nightmare fuel stuff.
6. Chick-Fil-A Strawberry Shake:Here lies another controversy because a ton of places make strawberry shakes. Who I am to say whose is the best? Well, I have the platform, and this pick really comes down to two main reasons. First, I think the southern part of the country makes better milkshakes than up north. Second, I think I would be assassinated if I didn’t have Chick-Fil-A somewhere on a top 10 list.
5. Culver’s Concrete Mixer:
I’m a Wisconsin boy at heart, and a result, frozen custard pumps through my veins. I do understand it’s not for everyone. However, if you give it a real chance, I promise you won’t be disappointed.
4. Gas Station Big Bopper:
The cookie coverings to this ice cream sandwich ofter another element of greatness. The price is ridiculous, but so is the price of gas. Might as well ball-out while your stopped, and make that commute magical.
3. Cold Stone Signature Waffle Cone:
The only real choice for a non-soft serve treat needs to be Cold Stone. When the ice cream is crafted right in front of your face, it hits different. Nothing will make you more thirsty than thick scoop ice cream, but the deliciousness will make you undeniably happy. Don’t forget to add the waffle cone because we all know a cake cone can’t handle those scoops.
2. Wendy’s Frosty:This desert holds a special place in my heart. Every single day of the 2018 summer ended with a trip for 50-cent Frosty’s. Yes, I was 21 at the time if you were wondering. No deal has ever or will ever come close to matching it. If Wendy’s brought it back, they’d jump to #1…no questions asked.
1. Dairy Queen Blizzard:
Dairy Queen’s trademark soft serve cannot be beat. Now, add Oreos, cookie dough, cheesecake, fudge, chocolate dip, mint, or Reece’s? Any day, any time I can down one of these. You’ll have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy one, but it’s worth it every time.
Find a way to make the pain of the Vikings loss hurt less today. Stop and shell out the $2-8 for your favorite ice cream treat. You deserve it for crawling through all that pain and suffering. I hope one of these top 10 ice cream treats fills the void, and don’t be afraid to cyber bully me if I missed one.
P.S. If you live around the St. Paul or Stillwater area…Nelson’s ice cream should be #1 on the list. The ungodly amount of scoop ice cream you get for minimal money is out of this world. No joke, their smallest “child” size is a half gallon of ice cream. I didn’t put it on the list because it’s not fair to the items listed above. Without a doubt go to Nelson’s when you’re down bad.
I’m just the ugly stepson of the 10K family. Part Minnesotan, Part Wisconsinite. Half best friend, half mortal enemy. Can’t live with me, can’t live without me.